Sunday, October 9, 2011

Another Show under my Belt …



I participated in my second art show yesterday. Actually it wasn’t so much and art show as a craft fair. The last two shows I have done have been nothing more than a learning experience. I have not shown my art in forever and like I had said before my art is so different from what I used to create it really is like two different worlds.


Here is a list of the things I have learned from the past few shows.



I think one of the biggest things I learned is that I really enjoy showing my art. I love talking to the customers about my creations and the inspiration behind them. I love hearing the comments and the reactions I receive when they walk into the stand. I really enjoy what I do and I am passionate about the pieces I create and every painting, collage, and drawing is part of who I am. I am not great with words, and not terrific at expressing how I feel but when I create a piece of art expressing my emotions and my thoughts come easily. It is amazing to see someone get as excited about my work as I do.




I can pull it off. I can go out and show my work. I can set up a display I am happy with. I can meet a deadline and be organized. I can communicate with costumers without completely stumbling over my words and I can do it all with a tiny bit of confidence.




I have to find shows where I fit in a little better. I learned this lesson yesterday. I have to be a little more selective about the shows I participate in. I am not saying I was better than anyone yesterday or I want to be in a show that has art that looks like mine, but I do need something that fits my style a little better and a show that will draw the type of customer who is looking for something unique and handmade. The customers who went to the show yesterday were looking for cookie cutter cut out pumpkins, flower arrangements and yard ornaments. They were also looking for inexpensive items. Unfortunately many of the crafters at the show do not create their own pieces but buy them made or semi made and then add a little of their own touch. They can sell their work cheaper because they do not put the time and energy into making their craft and I simply cannot compete with that. I put hours upon hours into my work and they put in minutes and I just can’t sell my art for what they can. I need to find shows with unique handmade items that draws a crowd looking for that and not items that come off an assembly line.





I have had fun at the shows I have done and have met a lot of nice people. I have no regrets and I am so glad I am able to show my work.





My goal is to do more unique shows. To keep creating and learning. I would love to travel to different areas and different states to show my work. So if any you live within four hours of eastern Pennsylvania and know of any fabulous art shows, street fairs or craft fairs I would love to hear about them.




Have a beautiful Sunday!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. I like knowing that I am talking to someone other than myself for a change.