Monday, February 21, 2011

My Kryptonite ...

We all have things we would like to change about ourselves. Things that hold us back, things we are afraid of. Like everyone else I have a laundry list of things I wish I could change about myself. There are things about myself, flaws, which I have learned to, accept because they are who I am. I am never going to be an elegant speaker, I will always be a shy and awkward, and I will never be a social butterfly.


However there is one flaw, defect, or fear which is by far the most crippling to me and that is my lack of confidence. It is the one defect in my personality that I have to change because for as long as I can remember it has held me back from being the person I want to be. I am always second guessing myself, feeling like I am not good enough, sabotaging myself.

I love creating art. It is my way of expressing who I am. There is nothing else in the world that makes me feel more complete or whole. There is nothing else I want to do with my life other than sell my art. Unfortunately when it comes to sharing my art, thinking about promoting my art, or even starting a facebook page for my art I start second guessing myself. I begin tearing apart what I created; thinking that it just isn’t good enough. My lack of confidence is crippling to the business I desire for myself, the career I have envisioned for myself. It is my kryptonite.

I admire confident people. My husband is the most confident person I know. He is so sure of himself and his abilities and because of this he has excelled in his career and in his life. In the last couple months his career has taken off and I truly believe his confidence has played a huge role in that. People are attracted to people who are confident in themselves and what they do. Confident people make the people around them feel at ease. Confidence is by far the most important quality for a person to have when they are dealing with people and selling something.

I read several artist blogs and I am in complete aw in how easy it is for them to share who they are and what they do. They are so comfortable and sure of themselves. They share what they are doing like it is the most unique, important, and amazing creation out there. Their confidence in their creations makes everything they do that more attractive more desirable.

I have to stop feeling like that terribly shy, painfully awkward, twelve year old who has completely no confidence in herself or my dream of having a successful business will only be that a dream. I have to let go, jump in feet first and stop second guessing myself. I know what I have to do I just wish I was confident enough to do it!

1 comment:

  1. Heather, you're a talented artist with great potential. There's no reason why you should lack confidence. One step at a time, and you'll shed the self-doubt.

    Now, get painting!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I like knowing that I am talking to someone other than myself for a change.